The Victory Arch of Madrid (Arco de la Victoria, in Spanish) is popularly known as Moncloa Gate.
It is a triumphal arch built between the period since 1950 to 1956, and has some similarity to the
Alcalá Gate. The architects were Modesto Lopez Otero and
Pascual Bravo Sanfeliu.
The arch was built to commemorate the victory of Franco in the Spanish Civil War in the Battle
of University City (Ciudad Universitaria, in Spanish). The Arch is located in one of Madrid's main entrances (on the road to "A Coruña", or A6), in the
center of the so-called Arco de la Victoria Avenue, in the district of Moncloa-Aravaca.
The Arc has an altitude of 40 meters (130 ft). It has some Latin inscriptions recalling the victory and the construction
of the new University City after the armed conflict that destroyed it.
At the top of the Arch there is a green sculpture of a chariot driven by Minerva.
Behind it is the monument to the Fallen from Madrid, designed in 1949 by the architect Manuel Herrero
de Palacios, a monumental circular building roofed with a cupola. Today it is the home of the
municipal council of the Moncloa-Aravaca district.
* Lines 3, 6
Arco de la Victoria Avenue
- Intercambiador de Moncloa station.